Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blog Assignment #6

cartoon:boy at chalkboard


Am I prepared to be the teacher of a networked student??...What a loaded question. Especially as I am still discovering what a networked student is. As a lover of all things communication, how can I possibly not be intrigued by the possibilities of "connectivism."

This response is after watching the video The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler. As an educator, I am further discovering that the teacher must be the "influencer." Drexler's video posed a question, "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" The video further defined the teacher as a modeler and architect of learning opportunities. The the twenty first century teacher will be a guide as the learner navigates through his own learning experiences.

One of the comments left on Ms. Drexler's blog expressed fear that the teacher might become obsolete. I believe the teacher will never be obsolete. Without an architect the dynamic classroom will not have infrastructure. The content changes, the connections increase, but the principles of learning remain the same.

Comments on A 7th Grader's PLE (one of Wendy Drexler's networked students):
Please allow me to take a break from all this intellectual conversation for just a moment and tell you how I really feel.

A seventh grader, Wow!! Here are some terms that are newly defined for me over the last three weeks:
EDM; URL; RSS; HTML; PLE; PLN: WIKI; ALT

In a word,
S-O-S

Critiques of Smartboards:
I am glad that I did not have to be fed a one-sided argument. I have never taught using an interactive whiteboard. I know I will have the opportunity soon. As part of this assignment I read four articles on the cons of these smart boards. I also read several articles with the opposite side of the argument. One article I found was particularly good because it described the usefulness in many different subjects. http://technology-to-enhance-ed.wikispaces.com/Teaching+with+Smart+Boards

Most educators agree that the Smartboard seems to help many different learning styles. They also agree that the Smartboad is "wow" technology. The biggest argument is that having the technology does not negate success in learning. Schools should not buy a whiteboard so the teacher can simply do something she already has a cheaper tool to do.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kim!
    Great blog post! You make a very good point that: "The content changes, the connections increase, but the principles of learning remain the same." People who fear that the role of the teacher will become obsolete due to improvements in technology are only afraid to embrace change! We will always need a teacher in the classroom to avoid complete chaos!
    And as far as SMART Boards go, everyone has different opinions on those too, but the usefulness depends on the teacher's use of them. I personally think that they are useful but that there are much more cost efficient tools that could be used.
    Just as a side note: Always be sure to check to see if your links work. You can find directions for creating a button in the instructions manual or you can come see us in the lab and we can easily assist you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teachers will always be needed in the classroom so I agree that teachers will never be obsolete. Teachers are needed to help in the understanding of the information students learn and if nothing else to motivate them. I was definitely amazed at what the seventh grader has accomplished as well. I also agree that schools shouldn't buy SMART Boards if teachers are going to use it the same as they would a chalk board. I will have to check out the link you posted on SMART Boards, because all the sites I found had little pros and a lot of cons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOS! We are here to help!

    Well written. Thought provoking. Interesting. Keep up the good work. You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another SOS! Third graders to the rescue:

    You need buttons, not just URLs. See the instructions on p. 11 of the Instructional Activities Manual. I just created a button linking you to the manual. You have to be able to do the same. The instructions we use are the same as those used by Mrs. Yollis with her third graders! They master it. So can you!

    ReplyDelete