Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blog Assignment #5

Comments on PODCASTING:
I remember when I was in junior high school, I had an English project where I used a tape recorder to produce a mystery story. It was done like an old radio drama complete with bad sound effects. What I remember enjoying about that assignment was that it was interactive. I got my family members to portray the character voices.

Well, recording capabilities have sure changed since then. After listening to Mrs. Edmison's third grade podcast "Roamin' with the Romans," I realized the enjoyment of producing something that was collective was still very much the same. I enjoyed seeing how audio production is being awakened by students using so many forms of technology. As a language arts teacher the possibilities are exciting, but the teaching opportunities are so vast. Podcasting involves, organization, reflection, articulation, collaboration among many other skills.

Some things I noted from the podcasts I listened to were: using a host with personality; appropriate background music and sounds to keep interest, articulation and fluency is most important. I also want to get acquainted with Garage Band.

2 comments:

  1. Kim,
    I agree that appropriate sounds are very important in a podcast. It really helped bring the story to life, and definitely held my interest. The articulation and fluency have to be great so that it is easy to listen to and you can focus on the story, not the pronunciation.

    I think podcasts will be very useful to you in the language arts field. You can do so much with these, and like you said your students will enjoy it just like you did. The best part is that your students will learn "organization, reflection, articulation, and collaboration" in just one assignment. Those are all great things for your students to be learning, and I think that was a great point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garage band is a fantastic tool. Do you have a Mac? It comes included with every Mac.

    I am looking forward to your podcast. I hope you will make use of what you have learned from these exercises in your podcast.

    ReplyDelete