Sunday, June 12, 2011

Blog Assignment #4

Comments on #1:
Scott McLeod uses strong sarcasm to express his views on using everything technological in education. Scott McLeod is a associate professor at Iowa State University. His blog is entitled "Dangerously Irrelevant." I was also surprised at all he was doing as early as 2003.

I don't always like the "in-your-face, my way or the high way tactics", but honestly his are creatively spoken. And I loved the name of his blog. If an educator had no knowledge of all the computer approaches he mentioned in the "Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff, Please", I suppose that would be the exact audience he is directing his sarcasm.

I would love to run into him in the NEWBIE LOUNGE at the INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR TECHNOLOGY IN EDUCATION. This conference takes place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, June 26-29, 2011.

Comment on #2:
Travis Allen, a high school senior in Fayetteville, Georgia, has posted a YouTube video entitled "The iSchool Initiative". His Initiative encourages school systems to purchase iTouch devices for each student at the cost of $150.00. He believes the savings for the school per student would be at least $600.00. The cost would be due to eliminating costs for paper, copying, scientific calculators, homework calendars to name a few.

Thanks to Travis for articulating so well his goal to improve educational technology and student-teacher-parent communication. I think I could agree with him on many proposals. I heard recently that a nearby school system was buying notebook Mac computers for all high school students. I felt this was an expensive undertaking--a huge chunk all at once. I liked Travis's 150 dollar/per student budget much better. It sounds so currently doable.

Comments on #3:
As I said in an earlier comment, I don't always like the "in-your-face" approach. In Darren Cannell's YouTube video "You Can't Be My Teacher" he literally uses his son to speak into your face through the camera. Honestly, the child's tone seemed somewhat disrespectful to me. However, I took note that the video had 60,173 views and 124 likes. I thought Mr. Cannell's message was clear. He believes that the internet is not a fad, and teachers should not continue to ignore its presence.

I do agree. Technology can enhance learning. It is a catalyst not a fad.

Comments on #4:
As I blog, I'm currently listening to Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir sing "Lux Aurumque": 185 voices; 243 tracks; 12 countries and the internet. My response: "Can I join the choir?" What an amazing product of creativity and possibility.

I am continually astounded by the closeness of our present world. We are no longer
confined by walls, borders, or distance. The internet allows us to inter the virtual world and reach each other in a profound way. I am already a member of the choir!

Comments on #5:
This is my second viewing of Kevin Robert's video "Teaching in the Twenty First Century." This time I purposely noted the vocabulary carefully used by the author. First of all, I noticed the words are positive and inspirational. Some of the words are: possibilities, relevant, collaborative, and engaging. Teachers were called upon to help their students be: problem solvers; question posers; and creative, higher thinkers.

Technology is not the "source of negative behavior." We as teachers should allow the classroom to be a "filter." We should steer our students to find the right path using technological skills. My favorite quote: "Entertainment is passive. Engagement is active."

2 comments:

  1. For comment number 2, "The iSchool Initiative" what school near by is buying MacBooks? That would be something I would like to know? Does our school system even have the money to be forking out to spend on that on each and every student? Or is the students tuition or the fees going up, so the students are basically paying for it themselves?

    Comment 4, that choir production blew me away. One word. AMAZING. On your last comment, the quote that you have listed is so true in itself! Great Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thorough, thoughtful. You have articulated you view with vigor and intelligence. Well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete